If you are missing one or more teeth, or they are broken, decayed, or otherwise beyond repair, you are a candidate for dental implants. This option is particularly beneficial for those who are uncomfortable with dentures, partial dentures, or a bridge. Previously, patients who had insufficient bone were not considered candidates for dental implants, but further advances in diagnostics and bone reconstruction have given most patients the chance to receive implants.
Dental implants look, feel, and act like real teeth and, if properly cared for, can potentially last a lifetime. Below is a list of benefits and advantages associated with dental implants:
- They act like natural teeth:
- The biggest benefit of dental implants is that a patient’s chewing power is fully restored and, oftentimes, it is impossible to tell the difference between the implanted teeth and the natural teeth. Moreover, patients can also brush and floss normally with dental implants.
- They can last a lifetime:
- A dental bridge usually only lasts about 10 years, whereas dental implants can last a lifetime. This is due to the fact that they are made from titanium and integrate with the jawbone, making them bio-compatible. Therefore, this non-toxic replacement tooth with not be rejected by a patient’s body.
- They help prevent bone loss:
- For those who are missing a tooth, the jaw bone in the empty space will deteriorate due to the lack of stimulation to that area. Without an implant, the bone in that area will lose 25% of its volume and bone loss will continue over the years. If you opt for dentures, you might be surprised to find that they can actually accelerate bone loss as they become loose and begin to rub against your jaw’s bony ridge, causing it to wear away. On the other hand, a dental implant replaces the root as well as the tooth, which provides the stimulation necessary for bone growth.
- They keep your teeth stable:
- The gaps left behind by missing teeth can cause adjacent teeth to shift towards the gaps, pulling teeth out of position and, ultimately, affecting a patient’s bite and ability to chew. In fact, it can also lead to issues with TMJ, which causes persistent pain in the jaw and headaches.
- They can keep you clear from gum disease:
- Gaps not only make your teeth shift, but they can also create a trap for food and bacteria, which leads to gum disease.
- They prevent facial sagging and rapid aging:
- Facial sagging is often caused by missing teeth, which can cause the lower part of a person’s face to collapse and gradually close the distance between the tip of the nose and chin. This can result in excess wrinkling around the mouth, thinning lips, and a pointier chin.
General & Cosmetic Dentistry in Sunrise, Florida
If you are missing teeth, you should consider dental implants as an option to not only address the aesthetic effects of tooth loss, but to protect your overall oral health as well. At Sunrise Smiles Tamarac Dentistry, our office has extensive experience in providing quality cosmetic dentistry for all of our patients. There is no reason why you should continue to live with the discomfort or inconvenience of missing or damaged teeth, when there are options available to help you live comfortably and feel more confident in your smile.
In addition to dental implants, we also provide veneers, teeth whitening, teeth straightening, and night guards.
Call our office today at (954) 945-9375
and schedule an appointment to learn more about your options and how we can effectively help you.